Hi, my name is Greg Shin (Sung-shik Shin, 신승식, 申承湜). Currently I am working at Hyundai Motor Group University in charge of introducing new learning approaches and practices utilizing digital and social technologies. [View my LinkedIn Profile]. Personally I enjoy playing the keyboard, piano, making pieces of music, and riding a bike. Look at my Twitter stream and Facebook wall. Also my personal interest in web accessibility and rehabilitation of mental patient led me to join some community groups in Korea. Hope you enjoy my pages.
Somebody suspects that if I am a homosexual, cause rainbow is used to represent homsexual society. I am not homesexual, but I do not want to discriminate people based on their sexual orientation. I think it is just the problem of individual preferences. In my world, rainbow represents diversity. In a democratic society, people can have different tastes, views and opinions. I strongly believe all these different and sometimes quite exceptional people can contribute to build healthier and more colorful community and they must be respected. As you may be noticed, the rainbow with 7 colors has connotation of my great respect for diversity.
I am interested in:
- Music: MIDI, MIDI musics, acoustics, hearing principles, individual differences, composing techniques, classics, absolute pitch, etc
- Computer interface design: human factors, universal design, accessibility, web standards, convention, typicality, usability, reusability, object oriented design, e-learning standards
What I like and dislike:
I love trees, flowers, and walking in the forest. I am against any kinds of violence (including the teacher’s whip), war (including American invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan), discrimination (due to color, sex, sexual orientation, age, nationality, birthplace, etc), macho, and totalitarianism. I enjoy yogurt or oriental tea after meals, but I don’t like much of coffee, coke, cookies, and alcohol. I hate smoking and it is a torture for me to stand still next to a smoker. I am a kind of individualist who prefer to secure personal space and time rather than follow to get together against my will. That’s why I feel embarrassed when asked to join Korean style dining and drinking together event late at night. Recently I am devoting myself to study web content accessibility and web standards. I am extremely against the supporters for Dr. Hwang, Woo-suk (who is notorious for his cloning fraud) and their nationalism.
Extra Curricular Activities
- 1987 ~ 1988 – Piano accompanist in Kumho Male Choir
- 1987 ~ 1988 – Kumho UNESCO
- 1990 ~ 1991 – Maumsori (Sound in Heart), Yonsei singers in College of Liberal Arts
- 1990 ~ 1991 – Psychology study group in Department of Psychology, Yonsei University
- 1992 ~ 1993 – Organ accompanist in Gloria Choir, Gwangcheon Catholic Church, Gwangju
- 1992 ~ 1993 – Com-dong-in, Regional computer programmers’ club in Jeonnam Province
- 1990 ~ 1991 – Computer volunteers in Yonsei University Dorm (Muak-hak-sa)
- 1993 – Computer volunteers in Nam-do-Hak-suk, a dorm for the students from Jeonnam area
- 1997 ~ 1998 – Weekdays organ accompanist in Yonhui Catholic Church
- 1998 ~ 1999 – 25th chair of Young Saint Paul Association
- 1999 – Young Saint Vincent Association
- 1996 ~ 1997 – Volunteer manager of CMHV
- 1996 ~ Present – Monthly Befrienders Group of CMHV
- 2002 ~ 2004 – Human Rights Monitoring Group of CMHV
- 2006 ~ 2007- Piano accompanist of Kumho OB Male Choir
- 2006 ~ Present- Member of Korea Web Accessibility Group, Web Standards Korea
- 2006 – Participated in developing Certification of Web Accessibility program
- 2006 ~ Present – Provided consulting on web accessibility, e-learning content, learning management system to the organizations in Korea including KADO, Gyeonggi Women’s Development Center, Cheonan Yonam College, and more in public and private sectors.
- 2007 – Awarded for the contribution of promoting information society in Korea, Ministry of Information and Communication, Korea
- 2008 ~ 2009 – Organ accompanist of Tuesday Mass at Eungye Catholic Church, Osan, Korea
- 2010 – Member of Magnificat Choir at Hopyung Catholic Church, Anyang, Korea
- 1998 ~ 1999 – web master, translator, system designer, and researcher at Korea Leadership Center (Franklin Covey Korea) (Seoul, Korea)
- 2000 ~ 2002 – educational coordinator at Hanaro Telecom Inc. Cyber Learning Center and IT Cyber University Consortium (Seoul, Korea)
- 2002 ~ 2004 – project manager and technical/administrative operator at Hanaro Dream Inc. e-Learning Center and IT Cyber University Consortium (Seoul, Korea)
- 2004 ~ 2011- global e-learning administrator / social learning strategy developer / learning technology strategist (2007 ~ 2011) at Learning Center, LG Electronics (Pyeongtaek, Korea)
- October 2011 ~ – digital learning strategist / social learning evangelist at Hyundai Motor Group University
- 1978 ~ 1979 – Gwangju Sansu Elementary School, Gwangju, Korea
- 1979 ~ 1981 – Yeosu Dong Elementary School, Yeosu, Korea
- 1981 ~ 1984 – Gwangju Jangwon Elementary School, Gwangju, Korea
- 1984 ~ 1987 – Gwangju Choongjang Middle School, Gwangju, Korea
- 1987 ~ 1990 – Kumho High School, Gwangju, Korea
- 1990 ~ 1996 – BA in Psychology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
- 1996 ~ 1998 – MA in Cognitive Psychology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Writings and Presentations
염은영, 신승식, 정찬섭(1997). 한국어-영어 이중 언어구조 및 처리과정의 탐색. 한국심리학회:실험 및 인지심리학회 ’97학술 발표 논문집, 211-228.
신승식(1998). 절대음감자의 음정 지각과 산출. 연세대학교 석사학위 논문.
신승식(1998). 절대음감자의 음정 지각과 산출. 한국 실험 및 인지 심리학회 1998년도 여름연구회 발표논문집, 33-46.
신승식 번역(1998). Combined Facilitation Workshop: Facilitator Resource Guide, Version 2. Franklin Covey.
신승식 번역(1999). Impact Analysis. Jack Philips Group, Franklin Covey.
정보통신부(2001). 정보통신 사이버대학 통합운영사업 (1차년도) 수행보고서.
정보통신부(2002). (2차년도) 최종 결과 보고서: 정보통신 사이버교과목 통합운영시스템 지원사업.
신승식 번역(2003). 웹 콘텐츠의 접근성을 높이기 위한 제작 지침(Web Content Accessibility Guidelines). Web Accessibility Initiative, World Wide Web Consortium.
정보통신부(2003). (3차년도) 최종 결과 보고서: 정보통신 사이버대학 시스템통합운영 지원사업.
신승식(2003). IT Cyber 교육 운영 방안: 정보통신 사이버대학 운영 사례. 정보처리학회지 21(9) 84-88.
신승식(2003). 국내 웹기반 교육용 콘텐츠의 접근성 분석 사례. e-Learning 학술연구 2(1) 114-132.
한국정보문화진흥원 연구보고 04-02 (2004.6). 시각장애인의 정부 홈페이지 접근실태 및 개선방안
신승식(2004). Toward universal e-learning. IT Professional Education Seminar.
신승식(2004). ASTD 2004를 보는 다른 관점: Break the best practices and return to basics. IT 전문교육 Newsletter 2004년 7월호, 한국정보통신대학교.
신승식(2004.12.13). Issues in Globalization of E-Learning Content and Accessibility. 정보통신 접근성 향상을 위한 전략 세미나 (한국정보문화진흥원, 정보통신 접근성 향상 표준화 포럼 공동 주최)
신승식(2005). 소수 웹 사용자를 위한 접근성을 높이는 길: 접근성을 높이기 위한 7가지 원칙. 월간 웹 2005년 4월호 (Vol. 64) 1.04 – 1.09.
한국정보문화진흥원 연구보고 04-18 (2004.12). 웹 접근성을 고려한 콘텐츠 제작 기법
신승식(2006). Understandable Content and Controls. 웹 접근성 준수 실무 세미나 (한국 정보 문화 진흥원 주최, 2006년 11월 29일)
마시코 타카히로 지음. 김대석 번역. 신승식, 신현석, 조훈, 강민혜 감수 (2007). 웹 표준 교과서.
신승식(2008). Web in Extreme Environment: Beyond Crossbrowsing. 민간 부문의 장애인 웹 접근성 제고 세미나(행정 안전부, 한국 정보 문화 진흥원 주최, 2008년 11월 3일)
I enjoy playing songs and musics with my synthesizer, GS1000 during weekends. I also love to ride a bicycle by myself or with friends. I am a member of KWAG, Korea Web Accessibility Group, Web Standards Korea, Kumho OB Male Choir and CMHV, Community Mental Health Volunteers.